The great news is that if you follow a FODMAP diet or have fructose malabsorption, you'll only need to make a few modifications to quit sugar with us! We get asked a lot about FODMAPs, so we've checked in with a dietitian on our 8-Week Program expert panel, Marieke Rodenstein, to see what she has to say:
“Whilst FODMAPs include foods that contain excess fructose (such as apples, pears, watermelon, honey, high fructose corn syrup etc), it also includes foods that contain lactose (milk, yoghurt, ricotta etc), fructans (asparagus, broccoli, fennel, garlic, leek, onion, beetroot, excess wheat & rye etc), galactans (chickpeas, lentils etc) & polyols (cauliflower, mushrooms, avocado, corn, capsicum) many of which feature in the IQS meal plans. So in short, the meal plans don't fit in with a low FODMAP diet, however, it can be modified to be low FODMAP. Modifications may include replacing high FODMAP vegetables with low FODMAP varieties & using homemade 24 hour fermented yoghurt (24 hour fermentation eliminates all traces of lactose) or kefir instead of store bought yoghurt, etc."
We aim to make our meal plans adaptable and flexible so that you can tailor them to suit your dietary requirements. Common swaps to make your meal plans FODMAP friendly could include:
- Replacing onion and garlic with finely chopped fennel or celery, or using an onion or garlic infused oil instead.
- Replacing fresh veggies with low-FODMAP alternatives that are more suitable such as zucchini, broccoli, eggplant, kale etc.
- Fermenting vegetables where you can to break down the FODMAPs and further boost your meals.
- Activating your legumes to reduce the FODMAP content or substituting for an ingredient like quinoa or buckwheat.
- Replacing high FODMAP fruits for lower FODMAP fruits like berries, kiwifruit and lemons.
Keep in mind that FODMAP intolerances can differ greatly and while some people might be intolerant to some ingredients, other people will be ok to consume them in small amounts. The number of modifications you'll need to make to the meal plans will depend on your sensitivity to FODMAPs.
Need more help?
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or hop on live chat between 9am - 530pm Monday - Friday (AEST).