Common detox symptoms include a whole host of fun sounding things like headaches, trouble sleeping, general achy-ness and flu-like symptoms, fatigue, irritableness and yep, you guessed it, sugar cravings!
Sugar is highly additive, so it's no surprise that as soon as we start to cut back we begin to crave it. On top of sugar impacting our brain and releasing dopamine to make us feel good, sugary treats are ingrained in our lifestyles and routines. We associate sugar with the good times.
We know sugar cravings can be tough, but we promise you this feeling is only temporary and you'll get through it before you know it. Some of our favourite tricks to control sugar cravings are:
- Make sure you're eating three nutrient-dense meals per day and plan ahead by making some healthy snacks that you can have on hand if the cravings strike.
- Use some of our favourite hacks to stop the cravings in their tracks. Liquorice tea, a tablespoon of coconut oil, sweet potato or kombucha all do the trick! Check out more ideas here: https://iquitsugar.com/food-kill-sugar-cravings/
- If you're on the 8-Week Program or 7-Day Reboot, follow the meal plans you've been provided. The meal plans are expertly designed to be satiating and nutrient dense, so you're feeling nourished and confident to tackle the sugar cravings head on.
- If you're on the 8-Week Program, head to the community forums and connect with other sugar quitters. Speak to people who understand exactly what you're going through and can support you until you're feeling better.
- Stay busy and move your way through them. The cravings can strike when we're bored or sitting for too long, so make sure you're treating yourself with lots of interesting activities and exercise. Sometimes a quick walk around the block can help you get through the cravings.
- Have a kitchen clean out. If you've still got some sugary treats lurking in the back of your cupboard, now's the time to clear them out. There's no need in making things harder for yourself!
- Get in touch with the IQS team. We've been there before and we know what you're going through. We're here to help!
Need more help?
Send us an email at email@example.com or hop on live chat between 9am - 530pm Monday - Friday (AEST).